Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Day 8 - One week Reflections

True confessions . . . My eating has not changed much at all. I've still been eating a lot of sugar even though reducing it was my goal. I have been posting meals, but in between those meals, and after them, it's so easy to just grab chocolate or ice cream without photographing it. Inspired by Amy who has decided to instill a life change through this, I'm going to photograph EVERY sweet  that I eat - in the plates, in my hand, snack, with a meal. I think that will keep me more accountable and allow me to reflect on my patterns and/or change them.

I will admit I've successfully eaten all the chocolate, fudge, ice cream, and sweets I had around so I'm also setting the goal that I will not buy more to have around.

Last, I have realized I no longer desire sugar for breakfast. Sugar at the start of the day makes me crave sugar all day. Lately I've gotten in the pattern of green smoothies, homemade sweet potato or bran muffins, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt and granola, or toast with pb rather than jelly. It is a MUCH better way to start the day rather than pancakes with syrup or even cereal.

Here are my two favorite muffin recipes mentioned above:



Bran Muffins

Sweet Potato Muffins

2 ½ c. whole-wheat flour
¾ c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 t. ground ginger
¼ t. baking soda
¼ t. salt
¼ c. melted unslated butter
¼ c. vegetable oil
1 c. pureed or mashed cooked sweet potato
1 egg, beaten
½ c. buttermilk

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups or add paper liners. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, and salt. In a bowl, whisk butter, oil, sweet potato, egg, and buttermilk. Fold wet mixture into the dry; stir until just combined. Fill muffin cups three-quarters full. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment